Sunday, May 23, 2010

Of many things

Decent Bathers

Over the last five years or so I have bought and discarded bathers across 3 continents, and my last pair were an end-of season special at KMart in Rockingham.

Anyone who has swum regularly in a pool will know that there are certain fabrics that are 'chlorine resistant', and those that are not ... So last week I went to the pool and swam with great trepidation as I noticed my bathers were developing thin spots. Time to go hunting for new bathers - and of course this is not the right season for that.

After searching the 'net and finding dozens of sites willing to send bathers, I decided that firstly I really needed to try something on, and secondly I didn't want to wait days for the mail. Finally we found a place in South Brisbane, and decided it was time to practice our 'Go-card' skills and hop onto some public transport.

We have only ever gone one stop on the train (so far) and this time we wanted to go three stops ... We got on the train to Cleveland, and (having no idea where that is) got off quickly every time the train stopped to check with the man on the platform that this train would be going to South Brisbane - well, really, we were spooked by the annoucements each time that if we wanted to go to certain other places (and we didn't know where they were either) we should change trains.

Arriving safely in South Brisbane, we walked a couple of blocks to Boobah. Wow! She certainly does have a lot of bathers of all sorts (even some that fit me) and all Aussie made.

I have no idea of the derivation of the name (Boobah), but today I went swimming for the first time in my new togs. There I was, skimming across the top of the water feeling appropriately attired and suitably supported ... like a chocolate Humpty with a snorkel. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment